Tuesday, March 23, 2010

¡Mis amigos catrachos!

So the last week I had an opportunity to take off a week from work and travel up north to Honduras. Numerous cars had the sticker "Catrachos al copa mundial" or something like that - well anyways its the second time every that Honduras (Catrachos) are going to the World Cup 2010 in South Africa, and theyre super excited!
So I had two reasons to go to Honduras, first of all two of my cousins, Matt and Sherylnn, were visiting to delivery what are called PETs (personal energy transport) which are basically wheelchairs that people can power with their hands. The second reason was to visit the University Zamorano, considered the best agriculture university, including in development, in Latin America. I had a connection through my advisor at K-State, Dr. Boland, who teaches there sometimes, as well as through a couple students from K-State and Zamorano that Ive met through the exchange program between the universities. Here's how it went down...

Sherlynn and Matt, (with a helper!), standing next to a pet. Close to 300 were shipped in boxes from Moundridge, KS and assembled at several different churches throughout Honduras.


Some new friends, Eduardo and Daniel, who gave me lots of insights into Honduranian culture.



Escuela Agrícola Panamericana Zamorano, where I had the opportunity to meet the director of "Social-economic and environmental development," A. Sanders, a very interesting and insightful meeting that brought to light a lot of challenges and opportunities in development in Latin America. For more details, ask me!


The night after my interview with Dr. Sanders, it was too dangerous to return to Tegucigalpa, so I spent the night in a convent. Straight out of the Sound of Music, with pine covered mountains and all. (Silencio, por favor)



The food at the convent was great too, kind of strange as I was the only one eating in a huge cafeteria - they gave me a ton of food!

Downtown Tegucigalpa

Close to where the military coup took place last year. Tegucigalpa has become considerably more dangerous in the past couple years. For example, buses are robbed on a daily basis. Being from the US and touristy doesnt help your chances!


Rich business men come to talk and get their shoes shined

1 comment:

  1. We cousins LOVED your convent story...I bet you were the nuns' highlight of the month...

    ReplyDelete