Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Africa in a month

This past March, K-State send me to Africa for a month. It was one great adventure. Here are a few details!

Though not very evident from the picture, South Africa is the corn capital of Africa, and a major exporter to the rest of the continent. They are the only country in Africa that has approved GM corn. (Aside from driving on the "wrong" side of the road, this picture could have been taken in Kansas).



 
In Malawi, it is illegal to carry more than one bag of coal per person into town. In this case, a policy designed to reduce deforestation has resulted in high coal prices and thousands of jobs!


 

I had the privelage to meet up with my Uncle's family in Ethiopia (Henok, Chris, Robel, Aman). They were so hospitable and they took me to the finest restaurants Ethiopia (and Africa) has to offer. My Uncle Haig back in Atlanta was surely jealous!






The highlight of my trip? Getting to see my Uncle Tom and Aunt Marcy in Niamey, Africa! They provided me with plenty of laughs and the best homemade food. Also, if you visit, I can almost guarantee that you will find the worlds best mango smoothie waiting for you upon your arrival! Here, we are eating kabobs on a rooftop cafe overlooking the Niger River. Wow! Also, I must note that Niger has been extremely blessed with the presence of Kirk and Becca, two K-Staters! (Right Uncle Tom?)


 
 
And not surprisingly, my thoughtful fiancee made a map of Africa so that she could keep track of where I was. Thankfully, we were able to maintain semi-regular communication, but as you can imagine it was pretty tough to be away. Next time she'll be along for the adventure. I can't wait!!















No comments:

Post a Comment